About us


Kibworth Beauchamp Parish Council was formed in 1894.  We succeeded the meetings of the ecclesiastical parish held in the vestry of St Wilfrid's under the authority of the rector.

The first Parish Council meetings were held in the National School which is now the Old School Surgery in Station Street.  Between 1901 and 1983, we met in the Village Hall or the Oddfellows Hall in Paget Street, and then at the Kibworth School.

Since 2013 our meetings have been at Kibworth Grammar School Hall on the fourth Tuesday of the month except in July and December.

The Parish Council is a corporate body. Councillors debate and decide actions but legal responsibility rests with the Council. A member cannot make decisions or take responsibility for specific actions, and all councillors must accept and respect the decisions of the council. The council employs a part-time Clerk and a part-time Street Orderly.

Your councillors are Barbara Strevens, Peter Leverett, Andrew Munro, Chris Holyoak, Pat Copson, Ian Harrison, Zoe Macefield, Mark Newcombe, Simon Whelband and Steve Woodhouse (Chair).

Councillors

Councillors have to be British, Commonwealth, Irish or European Union citizens and aged eighteen years or older on the day of appointment. They must be registered to vote in Kibworth Beauchamp, or have lived in, or owned or tenanted land in the parish for the past year, or have worked here or within three miles of the parish for at least a year.  Paid officers of the council, and people who have been declared bankrupt or are subject to recent sentences of imprisonment cannot be councillors.

Councillors do not receive a salary or an allowance but out-of-pocket expenses are covered.  Elections are held every four years when all councillors must be re-elected or stand down. Vacancies arising between elections can be filled by co-option.

Kibworth Beauchamp

Walter de Beauchamp was born in France in 990.  He took his name from the area where he lived.  Either he or his son crossed the English Channel as part of the Norman invasion of 1066, and settled here.

In 1246, Henry III gave our manor to his descendant, also called Walter, for services at his Coronation including being his dresser and butler. The Beauchamp family then held the manor until 1369 when Guy de Beauchamp died and it passed to Philippa, his wife.

Philippa died in 1384 and the manor passed to her decendants, the Earls of Warwick.  Ownership went back to the monarch on several ocasions when various earls fell in or out of favour, and in 1687 it was sold to Sir Thomas Halford of nearby Wistow.

In 1936 his descendant Sir Henry Halford gave the manor in his will to his friend Thomas Freemantle of Wigston, later Lord Cottesloe. Over the following years, most of the land and property in the village was sold by him to various individuals.